Monday, December 11, 2006

CBC calls St. John's "Hyper-Cool"

Great article on the CBC website about a St. John's artist who makes books and book art. Apparently, St. John's is the cool place to live now.

"... the perfect place is St. John’s, a city that acts as a living metaphor for the line between the values and esthetics of the old and new. In the midst of a long-running renaissance, Newfoundland’s capital has become hyper-cool and overflowing with personality and art. It is home to many refugees from the mainstream..."

I went to the CBC, (not a trek that I make often) looking for more information on Laura Gainey, who was swept off the deck of my old ship, the Picton Castle on Friday. The search has been going on all weekend, but I'm not holding out much hope for a happy end to this story. If there is one thing I understand well, it's the realities of my job. I lived for almost 3 years on that ship, and I know it is almost impossible to enact a successful recovery of a MOB in any kind of weather. Not that I'm being pessimistic or anything, just realistic. I would be delighted to be proved wrong in this case. I'm afraid that this may prove to be the end of the Picton Castle. Her father must be well connected and there will be an inquest at the very least.

We are unloading in Wolfe Cove, Quebec. We should be here about 3 days, if all goes well. I went for a walk (and dinner) in the city last night after walking up the stairs to the Plains of Abraham. As I said to my father, "it's not such a steep cliff, but I'm glad I'm not dragging a cannon!"


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you as I read the stories about the Picton Castle. Do you really suppose it's the end for the barque?

I would think that this is just the sort of thing that happens on tall ships from time to time.

As I understand it, Gainey wasn't a trainee. She knew what she was doing.

For some reason, I think I would be a bit sad (as I think she would too) to know that her death brought about the demise of the ship.

Then again, perhaps I am being needlessly idealistic.