Saturday, February 17, 2007

Hangin' With The Purity Girls


Last night was the Valentines Burlesque Show at The Majestic (The Molestic) Theatre. Aside from the fact that I hung out with The Purity Girls,


who kept smuggling me free beer from back stage, I was able to catch local icon Gary Palen in drag singing "Cocksuckers for Love":

This was the kind of evening that makes me glad that I live in St. John's, despite it's many hardships. The crowd was raucous and lively, and kept the energy level up throughout the show. I wasn't sure what to expect, never having been to The Majestic before. I was glad to see the bar though, and even gladder when Sarah smuggled me a $20 bill out from backstage in her bra, seeing as I didn't have time to make it to an ATM before the show.


Local band "oddly enough" sings some old Cyndi Lauper

while Miss Jezebel Express needs a little technical support.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! Out of curiosity, what makes Gary Palen a local icon? I don't think I've heard of him before, but it was indeed a funny bit.

izenkumon said...

I don't know either, but judging from the cheers of the crowd when he was announced, I figured he was an icon of some sort. But after having googled him, we either have two Gary Palen's in town or this guy is very busy.

Unknown said...

the video here was taken down but i was wondering if you had another way i could watch it. I think that's my uncle.
E-mail:roslynwalhovd@yahoo.com

thanks...