Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Spring Break = Snow Day

Figures doesn't it? We are in the middle of Spring Break - a misnamed vacation if there ever was one - and the university closes for the day (the whole day mind you), so that the city can dig itself out from underneath cataclysmic snowstorm #45. I actually went out at one point in time, just in time to see the bulldozer clearing the driveway
(yes, I actually changed out of my pajamas - don't have a cow), to see if I could get to Sobey's for essential snow day supplies (milk, peanut butter, bread) and to see the carnage in the neighbourhood. After negotiating the herculean snow drifts at the back of Our Lady of Perpetual Agony High School, I gained the Sobey's parking lot only to discover that the store was closed. But thankfully, the Georgetown Convenience & Deli was open as usual, and I got my supplies.

Over on Maxse street, the plow only went 3/4's of the way down, and then reversed its way back up the street, leaving the citizens to dig themselves out, except for one guy who was too busy running on his snowshoes up and down his neighbour's snow piles. This is the kind of neighbour that you "accidentally" deck with your shovel while tossing the snow.




Note to self: When buying a house in Georgetown, make sure front door opens IN!

I had to help this poor schmuck get out his front door. He was standing in the window with his shovel, frantically gesticulating to anyone who was walking by. He managed to crack the door about an inch to pass his shovel out. Thank God, I didn't rent the rowhouse I had originally looked at: I couldn't even see the front door!

No comments: