Friday, February 24, 2006

Music Part 2

Dave and I went down to CBTG's last night to see the John Lennox show. Unfortunately for us, we just caught the last song. I guess we figured that 12:30 would be fashionably late or something...Thankfully the next two bands were great, the Reels from Halifax and (I'm guessing)local boys Blair Harvey and the Dregs. The Reels were this country rock outfit doing some serious channeling of Blue Rodeo and Sons and Daughters. If you've never heard of Sons and Daughters, I'm not surprised, but have a listen to the track Johnny Cash and see if you think like this reviewer:
a darkly theatrical, distinctly celtic noise that's part Alternative Country, part Psychobilly, part Indie Rock and part New Wave post-punk, with songs that make you want to rub your sweatiest bits against your neighbour's muddy jeans.

I'm just getting into the local music scene here in St. John's, and it's quite lively. I've always said, that one of the things I liked about living in Owen Sound was the local music scene, that we could go to Jazzmyn's and hear good live music. But now that I think about it, it was mainly the same 15 players over and over again, playing the same 30 songs over and over again. The Byrds, Neil Young, old Eagles, etc. Not that I'm dissing the great hits of the 1970's mind you, they're classics. But it does get a little repetitive.

I'm really looking forward to John's final show at The Ship on Saturday night. If his show a couple of weeks ago is anything to go on, this one will be excellent. He had a couple of tunes last time that sounded like he was channeling early Pink Floyd. That's Piper at the Gates of Dawn, Pink Floyd, not Dark Side of the Moon, good as it is.

No comments: