Sunday, March 05, 2006

Food and Drink

After a little mix-up with the dates, Dana and Stu came over for dinner on Friday night. Just as well they did, because I had a whack of fondue and no one to share it with. I made Dragon Noodles and we had the Chocolate/Peanut Butter fondue for dessert. Now my fridge is full of pasta, pound cake and chocolate!

I've been cruising around on other people's blogs, and lifting clever bits of programming to stick in the side bar, to try to jazz up this space. So far, I've managed to get the site meter, and the graphical version (which I think is really cool - I mean, who in Churchill, Manitoba is checking out my blog?), I've got the webcam of downtown up and running (which is good, cause it has that view of the narrows that is blocked by The Rooms at my house), and now I've got some images of books and DVD's that I'm watching and reading.

Firefly is excellent, I don't know how I missed it when it came out. And the Space channel is running 2 hours of Angel everyday, so I can get my Joss Whedon fix.

Here as promised for Dana is the recipe for Dragon Noodles, and here is the link to the Liquor Control Board of Ontario website, so you can browse the recipes from past issues of Food and Drink.

Dragon Noodles

Infused Oil

1/4 cup canola oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp very finely minced fresh ginger
1/2 tsp crushed chili flakes
1 tsp dark sesame oil

Salad
1/2 black beans
1/2 lb capelli d'angelo
3-4 cups shredded cooked chicken
3-4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 carrot, grated
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
1 lime
2 tsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt


1. Heat Canola oil with garlic, ginger and chili flakes in a measuring cup in the microwave for 30-60 seconds until hot with rising bubbles. Stir in sesame oil. If using within a few hours, leave at room temperature, otherwise cover and refrigerate until needed.
2. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain and refresh under cold running water until cooled
3. Combine drained pasta, cooked chicken, green onions, carrot and coriander in a large mixing bowl
4. Finely grate zest from lime and squeeze juice; stir zest and juice with sugar, soy sauce, and salt. Then whisk into infused oil. Pour over pasta mixture; toss from bottom of the bowl until ingredients are shiny and evenly mixed.
5. Covered and refrigerated, salad keeps well for a day or two.





No comments: