Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Banff Mountain Sponsorship Film Festival Tour Thingy

Last night was the Banff Mountain Film Festival. H and I went, and the evening went something like this:

"Thanks for coming everyone, before we get started, I'd like to thank our sponsors....(5 minutes later)....and our first film is..."

Lights go down
Film (9 minutes)
Light go up
Pupils audibly dialate

Talk about next film

Lights go down
Film (50 minutes)
Light go up
Pupils audibly dialate

"Before we break for intermission, I've got some announcements and I'd like to thank our sponsors..."

Intermission

"Before we carry on with the second half, we've got some door prizes, and I'd like to thank our sponsors..."

Lights go down
Film (15 minutes)
Light go up
Pupils audibly dialate

Talk about next film
Lights go down
Film (9 minutes)
Light go up
Pupils audibly dialate

Talk about next film
Lights go down
Film (26 minutes)
Light go up
Pupils audibly dialate

Talk about next film
Lights go down
Film (5 minutes)
Light go up
Pupils audibly dialate

"That concludes our evening, I'd just like to thank our sponsors again..."


And just think, if you were masochistic enough, you could do it all over again tonight. Honestly if that woman had thanked her sponsors one more time, I would have....well, ok, I probably wouldn't have, but I sure wanted to!
And for a woman, who appeared to be in her sixties, speaking to a theatre of adults, at a university, she could perhaps tried to not sound as though she was addressing a nursery school. "I'm from Alberta, which is out west, and I didn't realize St. John's was as far as it is...did you know it's a 12 hour flight?" Yeah, woman, we get that we live on an island, it's not like you're telling us something new...

2 comments:

Dana said...

aw bugs, i TOTALLY meant to go to that! bugger! were the films any good?

izenkumon said...

not bad, but not as exciting/outdoorsy as we'd hoped for. Only 1 with any extreme skiing, basejumping. The others were about mountaineers, or rock climbing kids, or fishing. This was my first time, and I'd always heard rave reviews about it, but we were disappointed. By the way, I can't post in your blog anymore, don't know why, but stu's jacket looks great. Hard to tell the difference between the $7 Value Village, and the $300 Mariner's Supply store.